Reinhardt offers a Bachelor of
Arts in Middle Grades Education through the Price School of Education. At Reinhardt, hands-on experience is valued and you will have a number of field experience opportunities prior to student teaching. A Price School of Education faculty member and your high school English mentor will structure your field experience so that you effectively design your lesson plans and then implement them with high school students.
Are You Ready To...
• Work with various kinds of students in your field experience
• Develop lesson plans
• Study poetry, linguistics, and grammar
• Learn the most effective ways to teach
• Work with your professors to improve your teaching style
It Helps To Be...
• Genuinely interested in and respectful toward young people
• Abile to establish rapport and enjoy contact with the public, especially parents
• Someone who posesses trong leadership qualities and has
a clear speaking voice
• Proficient in written and verbal communication and presentation skills
• Interested in different ways to solve questions and present information
• Enthusiastic for student subject areas
• Creative, imaginative, patient, energetic and resourceful
• In good mental, emotional and physical health
• Tolerant and appreciative of diverse cultures
Seeing students develop new skills and gain an appreciation for knowledge and learning can be very rewarding. However, teaching may be stressful. Some schools have large classes and lack important teaching tools, such as computers and up-to-date textbooks. Most teachers are held accountable for their students' performance on standardized tests, which can be frustrating. Occasionally, teachers must cope with unmotivated or disrespectful students. Many work the traditional 10-month school year with a 2-month break during the summer. Most do not teach during the summer, but some do.
You will learn how to integrate technology into your classroom,
use classroom management techniques and the best ways to support your students' learning, and acquire new teaching strategies you can use to meet the needs of diverse students. You will also learn to analyze how your students are doing in meeting curriculum objectives and how to design successful classroom activities, and how to prepare for success on the Georgia Assessment for the Certification of Educators (GACE) English Content exams.
National Education Association
National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education
American Federation of Teachers
What Can I Do with A Degree in Middle Grades Education?
Need excitement in your life? Surround yourself with 25 active pre-adolescents! Discover their fantastic energy. Join them as they explore new ideas, new ways of looking at mathematics, science, social studies, or language arts. Design learning activities where they complete creative projects that they then share with each other and classmates throughout the school and beyond using the Internet.
At Reinhardt University, the Bachelor of Science in Middle Grades Education program will give you the knowledge to teach two subject areas as you prepare to teach these students, grades 4 through 8. At the end of your sophomore year, you choose these two areas of concentration and take courses related to the middle grades curriculum. You develop your expertise in two of these subject areas: mathematics, science, social studies, language arts, or reading.