Master of Music Admission Requirements:
Graduate Admission Requirements:
- Take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) and have scores sent to the Reinhardt address below (waived for Reinhardt University graduates and students graduating from NASM accredited institutions with grades of “B” or better in all theory and history course work).
- Contact all postsecondary schools (colleges, universities and technical schools) you attended, whether you earned credit or not, and have each send Reinhardt an official transcript. If your transcripts could be under a different last name or maiden name, please note on the appropriate line on the application. One transcript should document a completed bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
All application materials should be sent to the following address:
Office of Graduate Studies
7300 Reinhardt Circle
Waleska, GA 30183
An official electronic transcript sending service may use the following address:
Master of Music (MM) Requirements for Admission:
In addition to the general admission requirements to graduate study at Reinhardt University, music students will meet the following requirements.
A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a minimum grade point average (GPA) on all undergraduate academic work equal to 2.75 on a 4.0 system and 3.0 in all music courses.
Official transcripts from a regionally accredited institution showing the candidate has received a bachelor's degree in music. Students seeking the Master of Music degree in Music Education must have received an undergraduate degree in music education that included student teaching and state licensure.
A satisfactory score on the General Section (verbal, quantitative, analytical writing) of the Graduate Record Exam (waived for Reinhardt University graduates and students graduating from NASM accredited institutions with grades of “B” or better in all theory and history course work).
Pass the candidacy performance audition in the major area (see specifics below). Conducting majors must demonstrate functional keyboard proficiency. This requirement may be met by completion of an undergraduate degree in music which includes a piano proficiency component. Conducting students may conduct their current ensemble.
International students must present a minimum TOEFL score of 550.
Submit at least two strong letters of recommendation (waived for Reinhardt University graduates). Members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Students desiring to complete the Master of Music in Conducting with a choral emphasis must present an undergraduate degree which included study in vocal pedagogy and language diction in English, German, Italian and Latin. Students deficient in these areas must complete undergraduate course work before being admitted to candidacy.
Following completion of the comprehensive exam, a student must complete the degree program in three years. Failure to complete the degree within this time frame may require retesting in cognate areas or additional course work.
Students will use as a guide the Reinhardt University Graduate Academic Catalog in force, the semester they begin course work. A student may select to complete degree requirements as stated in a subsequent catalog.
- Students who are unable to meet regular admission standards may be considere for conditional admission. The conditional status must be removed by the time the student has completed nine (9) credit hours.
- Students with deficiencies may be required to take remedial undergraduate courses.
Students holding NCTM certification are exempt from the piano audition requirement.
The audition repertory will be selected from a memorized 30-minute program that must include the following:
- A major work by Johann Sebastian Bach
- A fast sonata movement by Haydn, Mozart, or Beethoven
- A major romantic work, e.g. a Ballade by Chopin
- A major composition written after 1915
Students will present a 25 minute recital (video acceptable) with a variety of literature representing several periods of music and including selections in English, French, German and Italian.
Students will play three selections from the standard literature in varying styles, all major, minor (all forms) and chromatic (full range of the instrument) scales. There will be a sight-reading exercise.
Students will play three selections from the standard literature in varying styles, all major, minor and chromatic scales. There will be a sight-reading exercise.
Students will demonstrate competence on all battery instruments and two mallet selections from the standard literature, all major, minor and chromatic scales. There will be a sight-reading exercise.
The student must demonstrate advanced conducting competency by conducting an audition rehearsal with one of the Reinhardt University ensembles or an ensemble approved by the conducting faculty. The student must also demonstrate keyboard competence by playing a full band, orchestra, or choral score.