Amicalola EMC presents Reinhardt University with $25,000 scholarship donation. Pictured are (from left): Travis Cline, member of Amicalola EMC board of directors; Charles Gibson, Amicalola EMC President/CEO; JoEllen Wilson, Reinhardt vice president for the office of advancement; and John Bennett, vice chairman Amicalola EMC board of directors.
Amicalola Electric Membership Corporation recently donated $25,000 to Reinhardt University for scholarships to students whose households are served by Amicalola EMC. The Amicalola EMC Scholars Fund will be distributed in $1,000 increments to students who are attending Reinhardt and need financial assistance with their education.
“This generous gift from Amicalola EMC will enable us to grant awards to students who need help to attend Reinhardt,” said JoEllen Wilson, vice president for the office of advancement. “We are very grateful this business is willing to reach and invest in the community.”
The funds for scholarships are awarded from Amicalola EMC’s unclaimed property account established by O.C.G.A. 44-12-236 that allows an electric membership corporation to donate capital credits presumed abandoned if the funds are used for education purposes in the EMC’s service area.
On May 11, 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Rural Electrification Administration Act to bring electricity to rural America. Four years later, on December 12, 1939, nine rural electric pioneers met next door to the Pickens County Courthouse to form a new electric membership corporation (EMC) to serve areas in Gilmer, Pickens, Cherokee, Dawson and Lumpkin Counties. Because of this action and the dedication of these local leaders, Amicalola Electric Membership Corporation was born on February 10, 1940.
In less than a decade, 42 electric distribution cooperatives were created in Georgia, the first in 1936 and the last in 1948. These cooperatives now serve close to three million consumers in 73 percent of the state’s land area. Today, Amicalola EMC provides electricity through 5,281 miles of line to approximately 37,367 members, which have approximately 45,377 meters.
Founded in 1883, Reinhardt University is focused on shaping lives and building futures. As a private comprehensive university affiliated with the United Methodist Church, Reinhardt offers students five graduate and 41 undergraduate programs, ranging from business and education to music and theater.
Reinhardt has two locations- a residential campus in Cherokee County in Waleska, Ga., and a center focused on adults in Alpharetta, Ga., and it offers selected programs in Cartersville, Marietta, and Woodstock, Ga. Additional attractions on the Waleska campus include the Falany Performing Arts Center and the Funk Heritage Center.
For more information, please contact Reinhardt at 770-720-5526 or 1-87-REINHARDT or see the University website at www.reinhardt.edu.
Return to Previous Page