In 1867, less than three years after the Civil War left the city in ruins, Hungarian Jewish immigrant Morris Rich opened a small dry goods store on what is now Peachtree Street in downtown Atlanta. Over time, his brothers Emanuel and Daniel joined the business; within a century, it became a retailing dynasty.
Event Details—Wed., Nov. 6, at 6 p.m., Library-3rd Floor
Join historian and Reinhardt alumnus Jeff Clemmons ’93 on Wed., Nov. 6, at 6 p.m., on the third floor of Reinhardt’s Hill Freeman Library and Spruill Learning Center as he traces Rich's 137-year history through his new book, Rich’s: A Southern Institution. Refreshments will be served, and Clemmons will be available for book signing. This event is open to the community.
Recounting the History of a Treasured Southern Institution
As explained on the book’s back cover… “For the first time, learn the true stories behind Penelope Penn, Fashionata, The Great Tree, the Pink Pig, Rich's famous coconut cake and much more, including how events at the downtown Atlanta store helped John F. Kennedy become America's thirty-fifth president. With an eye for accuracy and exacting detail, Clemmons recounts the complete history of this treasured southern institution.” The book is available for purchase on Amazon.com in hardcover, paperback or Kindle versions.
Clemmons lives in suburban Atlanta. He has a degree in business administration from Reinhardt and a degree in creative writing and theater from Georgia State University. He created and leads walking tours of the Midtown and SoNo districts of Atlanta for the Atlanta Preservation Center, and serves on the board of the APC's auxiliary group, CIRCA, which offers its members private tours of some of metropolitan Atlanta's most interesting historical structures.
Contact for More Information
For more information about this event, please contact Lauren Thomas, media relations coordinator, at 770-720-5514 or LHT@reinhardt.eduReturn to Previous Page
For more information
Office of Marketing and Communications, top floor of Burgess Administration Building