Auditions for the Reinhardt University School of Performing Arts
Audition Dates for 2014-2015 Entrance:
February 22, 2014
March 22, 2014
April 26, 2014
To schedule your audition, please contact Anna Ragan at AMR@reinhardt.edu with your name, intended major, and instrument. Thank you.
All incoming music or theatre students are asked to audition for the School of Performing Arts and for consideration for a performing arts scholarship. You may also audition if you want to be a part of one or more of Reinhardt's ensembles.
Although the incoming audition for music majors varies per major instrument, all auditioning students are expected to perform at least two solo selections, sight reading. The student will also take a theory placement exam and participate in a personal interview. All instrumentalists are expected to play two-octave major scales and arpeggios unless indicated otherwise below. An accompanist will be available for solo selections, upon request. The following guidelines are offered for each performance area:
Instrumental: Brass or Woodwind Audition Requirements
Performance - Two selections of medium difficulty.
- 1. Solo selections published by Rubank from "Concert and Contest" or any piece from GMEA Solo Festival list (suggested level 4 or higher). All-State 11-12 grade etudes are also acceptable.
2. Movements of sonatas, concertos, or solo pieces by classical composers (such as Corelli, Handel, Vivaldi, Rossini, or Telemann, etc)
Instrumental: Percussion Audition Requirements
TIMPANI: One movement from "Sonata for Timpani" by John Beck. OR One etude from "Fundamental Method for Timpani" by Mitchell Peters. Tuning fourths and fifths.
SNARE DRUM: One etude from "Portraits in Rhythm" by Anthony Cirone OR One etude from "Intermediate Snare Drum Studies" by Mitchell Peters.
MARIMBA/XYLOPHONE: Choose 1 or 2 of these pieces:
Any xylophone rag by George Hamilton Greene (2 mallets)
"Sonata for Xylophone" by Thomas Pitfield (2 mallets)
"Yellow After the Rain" by Mitchell Peters, or "Rain Dance" by Alice Gomez (4 mallets)
Instrumental: String Audition Requirements
Violinists, violists, and cellists are asked to play 2 three-octave scales/arpeggios of the student's choice. Bassists are asked to play 3 two-octave scales/arpeggios of the student's choice. All students should play two works in contrasting styles.
Organ Audition Requirements
Performance - Two compositions (one by memory) from standard repertoire which represent contrasting styles and periods. Note: A student who has no previous organ study may substitute a piano audition. Organists should choose from the following:
- 1. One prelude and fugue from "Eight Little Preludes and Fugues" by J. S. Bach.
2. A hymn similar in difficulty to "Holy, Holy, Holy," "Faith of Our Fathers," or "Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee."
Piano Audition Requirements
Performance - Two compositions (one by memory) from standard repertoire which represent contrasting styles and periods.
- 1. A selection by J. S. Bach from his two- or three-part inventions, Well-Tempered Clavier, Suites, Partitas, etc.
- 2. A movement of a sonata or sonatina by Clementi, Haydn, Mozart, or Beethoven.
- 3. A work from 19th Century repertoire by composers such as Chopin, Schumann, or Mendelssohn.
- 4. A selection by a 20th Century composer such as Shostakovich, Kabalevsky, Bartok, Barber, etc.
Voice Audition Requirements
Please note: A pianist will be provided for auditions. CD accompaniments are not permitted. Please provide sheet music.
Two contrasting selections (memorized)- preferably one in a foreign language.
- 17th-21st Century art songs and/or arias from standard secular or sacred repertoire in English, Italian, French, German,or Spanish.
Music Theatre Audition Requirements
- One music theatre full song and 16 bars from a contrasting piece.
- Two 1-minute contrasting monologues (ex: 1 comic/1 dramatic or 1 contemporary/one classical).
Theatre Audition Requirements
Admission to the School of Performing Arts requires applications to both Reinhardt University and the School of Performing Arts. You can apply and schedule an audition for the School of Performing Arts by completing the Application for Performing Arts Study PDF | Online Application.
Adobe Reader is required for viewing and printing PDF's. Download a free copy today!