Resumes and Cover Letters
The Office of Career Services' goal is to provide career resources to assist our current and alumni students in the development of their well being and achievement of career and educational goals.
- Need resume help?
- Looking for sample job interview questions?
- Want to set up a mock interview?
- Looking for career options in a tight economy?
- Want to identify various industries and possible titles to expand your job search?
Visit the Job Board for volunteer opportunities, internship listings, full and part time work, and summer jobs.
Resume Writing Tips
- Resume should be ONE page.
- Avoid unnecessary personal information.
- Organize your information.
- Center and balance your resume on the page. (Avoid too much white space)
- Highlight your skills and capabilities.
- Use action or "buzz" words to start each job responsibility.
- Rank the information in order of importance from the employer's perspective.
- Emphasize by capitalizing and using bullets.
- Use 8 1/2 by 11 white/off-white bond or resume paper.
- Proofread to eliminate all errors. Ask a friend to proofread it, too.
- Include only relevant data.
- Avoid the use of the pronoun "I".
- Avoid the sentence structure, "Responsibilities include..."
- Reproduce copies of your resume professionally.
- Cite numbers and examples to illustrate skills/traits.
- Stress accomplishments and marketable skills.
- Select the format that best highlights your skills and experience.
- Design your resume for easy skimming.
- Tailor separate resumes to fit each type of job for which you are applying.
- Include references on a separate sheet of paper with the name, job title, mailing address, phone number, and e-mail.
- Create and maintain a professional e-mail address with your name on it. Avoid e-mail addresses like Hellokitty26@mail.com.
There are three key factors to a successful resume. A professional Cover Letter, Resume, and then also a successful Elevator Speech (30 second Resume).
Use this information wisely it might be the key to finding that perfect job.
To view and edit templates on how to build a good Resume, Cover Letter, or Elevator Speech click on the appropriate link.
For more information
Peggy Collins Feehery
Director of Career and Professional Development Services
Hasty Student Life Center, Room 301
Office: (770) 720-5548
Fax: (770) 720-9105
Career Services Office Hours
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.