Year of Mexico
Year of Mexico
Patria, Libertad, Trabajo y Cultura
Each academic year since 2003, Reinhardt has designated a region of the world for students to learn more about through in-depth study and hands-on interaction. This focus is intended to promote understanding of varied cultures, businesses, histories, geographies and faiths and to help internationalize the Reinhardt experience.
The 2015-2016 year was the Year of Mexico. Students experienced and learned about our neighbor to the south and how our intertwined histories have created our current relationship. Events were scheduled throughout the academic year and included a festival, lectures, Day of the Dead celebrations, an immigration symposium, a travel tour, and many others.
FALL 2015 Activities/Events
- Involvement Fair – 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Hasty Student Life Center
- RU Student Experiences in Mexico – Café y conversacion - Time TBA Glass House
September 16 – Mexican Independence Day
Year of Mexico Festival – 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Donor Plaza (weather permitting); all proceeds from the event will help fund the construction of a well in El Tablon in Mexico.
- all festival long - food, games, school booths, a marketplace and chances to take a swing at a real piñata.
- 11 a.m.-12 p.m. Soccer skills demonstrations presented by RU players
- 12-1 p.m. Learn about Mariachi music from local professionals and enjoy the sounds of Mexico - Glasshouse
- Between 12-2p.m.- Address by Ascary Arias: For the Year of Mexico we are focusing on raising funds to get a well for the 700 families of El Tablon in Mexico. To spread the word about the project and what we are doing, the President of Vidas de Esperanza Ascary Arias is heading out on a 24-hour 380-mile bike and will arrive approx. between 12-2 p.m. at the festival. He will be the featured speaker for the event.
- 1-2 p.m. RU’s own Ivonne Ramirez will demonstrate dances of Mexico …. Bring your dance shoes and learn some new steps! – Glasshouse
“Exploring the edible plants of Mexico – Tastes we know and love” Dr. Aliya Donnell Café y conversacion
1 pm Location: Dobbs 205
- Remembering your loved ones: Making your personal Day of the Dead alter
Amy McGee – 11 am – 1 pm Library Upper level
- Day of the Dead ceremony – Remembrance
Dr. Donald Gregory Location: Glass House Time: 6:30 – 8:00 pm
- Remembering our own – Dr. Donald Gregory
Ceremony at the grave of Captain Reinhardt
Previous global emphasis areas have included:
2015-2016 Year of Mexico
2014-2015 Year of India
2013-2014 Year of Germany
2012-2013 Year of China: Dragon Rising
2011-12 Year of Ireland and Irish Heritage
2010-11 Year of Oceania
2009-10 Year of North American Indigenous Peoples
2008-09 Year of the Mediterranean
2007-08 Year of Eastern Europe and Russia
2006-07 Year of Middle East
2005-06 Year of Africa
2004-05 Year of Asia
2003-04 Year of The Americas (inaugural year)