Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing Faculty
William Walsh is the director of the M.F.A. program and a southern narrative poet in the tradition of James Dickey, David Bottoms, and Fred Chappell. In 2020, his new collection of poems, Fly Fishing In Times Square, will be published by Červená Barva Press (Boston), which recently won the Editors' Prize. His novels The Boomerang Mattress and Haircuts for the Dead were Finalists and Semi-Finalists in the William Faulkner Pirate Alley Prize. As well, his novel, The Pig Rider, was Finalist in 2015. His other books include: Speak So I Shall Know Thee: Interviews with Southern Writers (McFarland, 1990); The Ordinary Life of a Sculptor (Sandstone, 1993); The Conscience of My Other Being (Cherokee Publishers, 2005); Under the Rock Umbrella: Contemporary American Poets from 1951-1977 (Mercer, 2006); David Bottoms: Critical Essays and Interviews (McFarland, 2010), and Lost In the White Ruins (2014).
His work has appeared in AWP Chronicle, Cimarron Review, Five Points, Flannery O’Connor Review, The Georgia Review, James Dickey Review, The Kenyon Review, Literary Matters, Michigan Quarterly Review, North American Review, Poetry Daily, Poets & Writers, Rattle, Shenandoah, Slant, and Valparaiso Poetry Review.
His literary interviews have been published in over fifty journals, and include, among others, Czeslaw Milosz, Joseph Brodsky, A.R. Ammons, Doris Betts, Richard Blanco, Eavan Boland, Pat Conroy, David, Bottoms, Harry Crews, James Dickey, Ariel Dorfman, Mark Doty, Rita Dove, Stephen Dunn, Eamon Grennan, Mary Hood, Edward Jones, Madison Jones, Donald Justice, Ursula Le Guin, Andrew Lytle, and Lee Smith.
- The Kenyon Review: https://www.kenyonreview.org/journal/septoct-2018/selections/william-walsh-laurence-lieberman/
- The Georgia Review: https://www.thegeorgiareview.com/posts/the-world-has-to-fall-away-an-interview-with-rita-dove/
- The Valparaiso Poetry Review: https://www.valpo.edu/valparaiso-poetry-review/2018/01/04/william-walsh-visiting-secretariat-in-1974/
- Mojo: http://mikrokosmosjournal.com/2014/09/sorting-your-inheritance-lost-in-the-white-ruins-an-interview-with-william-walsh/
- Literary Matters: http://www.literarymatters.org/issue-10-2/