Reinhardt University is kicking off the new season with its much loved Fall Family Weekend Sept. 14-16.
The weekend features events for everyone, including live music, a movie under the stars, an athletics awards event and the ninth annual 5K for ADay.
There also will be information sessions for parents to learn more about financial aid and study abroad trips available to students. Additionally, University President Dr. Kina S. Mallard will share an update at 11 a.m. Saturday in Hill Freeman Library and Spruill Learning Center.
“While parents are invited to our University in a Park at any time throughout the year, Fall Family Weekend is a special event planned for families having a great time together on our campus and learning more about their students’ lives at college,” President Mallard said. “We look forward to seeing our Reinhardt families during this weekend created just for them.”
Provost Dr. Mark Roberts and Dean of Students Dr. Mel Norwood will host a session Saturday following the Reinhardt Update giving parents tips on how they can help their students thrive at Reinhardt.
Also on Saturday, Reinhardt University’s Sharp Scholars will be honored during a luncheon in the Bannister Glasshouse from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Freshmen and sophomore scholarship recipients are honored for outstanding GPAs and participation. They can receive up to $5,000 toward their tuition.
Fall Family Weekend check-in begins at 9 a.m. in the Hasty Student Life Center. It will run through 5 p.m. Stop by, sign in, pick up name tags and a schedule of events for the remainder of the weekend.
Parents are invited to sit in on classes with their students throughout the day on campus from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. so they can get a sense of the educational experiences their child is having at Reinhardt. Students need to make prior arrangements with their professors as these are regularly scheduled classes.
Other events throughout the weekend include:
- Joe Gransden and his Big Band will perform in Flint Hall at Falany Performing Arts Center Sept. 14 at 7:30 p.m. The 16-piece band brings eventgoers back to the days of Frank Sinatra during the height of the jazz scene. Tickets can be purchased online at Reinhardt.edu/FPAC.
- Also on Thursday night, RU Green’s Movie Under the Stars event will feature the award-winning one-hour film YERT (Your Environmental Road Trip). YERT is a fun eco-documentary about a year-long eco-expedition through all 50 states. RU Green will provide sodas and snacks. The movie will be shown at 8 p.m. in Donor Plaza.
- The Funk Heritage Center will be open all weekend for tours. Located on Reinhardt University’s campus, the museum is Georgia’s official frontier and Southeastern Indian Interpretive Center. It also is certified by the National Park Service Trail of Tears as an interpretive site. Learn more at Reinhardt.edu/FunkHeritage.
- Friday night will bring the Inaugural RESPY awards at 6 p.m. in Brown Athletic Center. Modeled after ESPN’s ESPY awards, the event will honor Reinhardt’s best of the best student-athletes and coaches. The awards will highlight their hard work in the classroom and on the field. Learn more at Reinhardt.edu/RESPY.
- Families don’t want to miss the 5K for ADay, an annual event that benefits students attending Reinhardt University. The 5K run/walk will be held in nearby downtown Canton at 8 a.m. Learn more at ADay5K.Reinhardt.edu.
- In athletics, Reinhardt will take on Webber International University at Ken White Field at University Stadium from 1-4 p.m. Saturday, and women’s soccer will battle Milligan College on the field from 5:30-7 p.m. Learn more about upcoming athletics events at ReinhardtEagles.com.
To learn more about Fall Family Weekend and to see what other activities are planned, visit Reinhardt.edu/FallFamilyWeekend.