BUS 150: Basic Computer Applications Exemption Exam Information
Content Covered on the Exam
- Students are tested on the same content as the students who take the course.
- Students will be tested on the current version of Office being covered in the BUS 150 class.
- Students taking the exemption exam utilize the same testing software (SAM 2010) as students taking the actual class.
- The software is task-based testing software. Students will not be answering multiple choice or open ended questions. Students will actually be doing work in a platform that mirrors the Microsoft 2010 environment. However, the instructions will specify which method students should use in order to complete each task (Microsoft has multiple ways of doing many tasks). Students have 3 opportunities for each question.
- Example Question: Using the “Insert Function” feature in Excel create a formula to demonstrate the average for range B4:B10. Students can’t type the formula or use AutoSum, students must use the Insert Function in order to get the question counted correct.
Format of the Exam
- Students are not allowed to use any Microsoft application, books, cell phones, or websites during the exam. If students are caught doing so, they will be dismissed from the exam without a refund.
- 50 questions for each application (200 questions total).
- Students must pass all 4 sections in order to get credit.
- Students have 3 hours to take the exam. Students may take a 15 minute break half way through the exam.
- Students will pay for the equivalent to one credit hour of tuition (based on the individual student's tuition rate) paid to the Reinhardt University Business Office prior to taking the exam. Students must present their paid receipt before taking the exam. No refund is offered if the student does not pass the exam. If the student wishes to retake the exam, the student will be charged a $400.00 fee again.
- Students must also pay for the testing software which usually costs approximately $30.00 (requires a credit card to purchase). Students can take the exam again, however, the software must be repurchased by the student.
- Once students sign up to take the exam, the instructor will provide students with a website where they can order the testing software. Students are required to purchase their software prior to the exemption exam.
Scheduling the Exam
- Students should schedule the exemption exam at least 2 weeks prior to the end of the current academic semester. The instructor will work with the student to find a time to administer the exam that works with both of their schedules. The exam is administered at both the North Fulton and Waleska campuses.
- Students that have reached senior status must take the exemption exam well in advance of their last semester. This will allow students time to take the class if they they did not pass the exemption exam.
- ORL program students should take the exemption exam in their first semester. We often find that students will think they can pass the exemption exam, but they aren’t quite as knowledgeable with the vast amount of functionality as is covered in the course.
- Students who pass the exemption exam will receive 3 credit hours on their transcript for BUS 150. However, these credit hours do not reflect anything on their GPA (regardless of their score on the exam).
Preparing for the Exam
- Students often ask if they can have a practice test or book for the exam. We are assuming if they want to take the exam that they have a strong working knowledge of the concepts covered. It’s hardly fair to ask students to work through a 16 week course and pay full tuition and provide study guides for the exemption exam.
- Before students begin the exam, they will be allowed to take a 15 question sample test, so they can become familiar with how the software works and can ask generalized questions about how to use the software. However, specific questions about how to do something on the exam can’t be answered by the instructor.
- Students can check out a desk copy of the text book (if it’s available) from the instructor for the course and review the materials prior to the exam, if they want. However, the instructor can’t offer extensive tutoring sessions to cover the materials prior to the exam (again in an effort to be fair to all students).
- Current book used in BUS 150: Discovering Computers & Microsoft Office (Shelly Cashman)
Alternates ways to take the course
- BUS 150 is offered on-line once a year (not guaranteed).
- BUS 150 is offered each semester at the Waleska campus and is usually offered 5 days a week.
For more information, please contact
7300 Reinhardt Circle
Waleska, GA 30183