The Eagle Eye
Multimedia Student News
Lambda Pi Eta - National Honors Society - Psi Mu Chapter
LPH represents what Aristotle described in his book, Rhetoric, as the three ingredients of persuasion: Logos (Lambda) meaning logic, Pathos (Pi) relating to emotion and Ethos (Eta) defined as character credibility and ethics. Lambda Pi Eta follows six goals that exemplify the three ingredients of persuasion. LPH is also an officially recognized National Honor Society.
The Six Goals of Lambda Pi Eta:
- Recognize, foster and reward outstanding scholastic achievement in communication studies
- Stimulate interest in the field of communication
- Promote and encourage professional development among communication majors
- Provide an opportunity to discuss and exchange ideas in the field of communication
- Establish and maintain closer relationships between faculty and students
- Explore options for graduate education in communication studies
The purpose of these six goals is to guide each chapter to study, promote and develop the communication discipline. Every chapter should attempt to connect each event, activity, fundraiser, speaker or any other chapter function to one or more of the goals.
Individual Student Membership Eligibility Requirements:
- Must have completed 60 semester credit-hours (90 quarter credit-hours), have a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 for all courses taken, and have at least a 3.25 GPA for all communication studies courses;
- Must have completed the equivalent of 12 semester credit-hours (18 quarter credit- hours) in communication studies and currently be enrolled as a student in good standing, as determined by the institution's policies.
- Undergraduates who are elected shall rank not lower than the highest thirty-five percent of their class in general scholarship. The cumulative scholastic record of the student as interpreted by the institution where membership is to be conferred shall be the basis for computing scholastic eligibility for the purpose of classification in ranks. In addition, students should display commitment to the discipline of communication.
- All persons considered for membership shall exhibit high standards of personal and professional character and shall support the purposes of the honor society.
Chapter officers are elected each year and events are scheduled throughout the school year. New members are inducted each spring.