The mission of New Student Orientation (NSO), aligning with the institutional mission, is to holistically address the developmental needs of new Reinhardt students and families in transition within the Reinhardt University community. NSO and its related programs (SOAR and EagleBound) are designed and implemented to offer a comprehensive student and parent experience that introduce educational, social, and personal resources to facilitate the success of new students. NSO focuses on innovative collaborations with Reinhardt departments, and aims to develop skilled and confident Orientation leaders in order to meet the changing needs of our diverse community.
Learning Outcomes – New Student Orientation for Students:
- Meaningful connections with at least one faculty member
- An identity with one academic division or program
- Meaningful connections with at least one peer group
- Increased level of commitment to Reinhardt
- Increased awareness of academic and student life resources
Learning Outcomes – New Student Orientation for Parents and Guests:
- Understand the academic and social expectations of their students at Reinhardt University.
- Contribute to their student’s success and support their education by becoming involved at Reinhardt University.
- Develop a connection to the Reinhardt community through interacting with fellow parents, administration, faculty, staff, and student leaders.
- Become aware of campus resources, services and programs.
- Inform parents and guests about the history, traditions, campus cultures, and engagement opportunities to facilitate identification with and integration into the institution.
Learning Outcomes - Orientation Leaders
- Demonstrate knowledge on how to appropriately access campus information and resources, especially those that ease new student transitions and effectively communicate this information to NSO participants.
- Develop positive relationships with program participants, peers, faculty, and staff in order to establish a safe, inclusive and supportive community.
- Develop an understanding of the transitions and changes associated with the collegiate experience and an ability to convey that information to new students and their family members.
- Develop problem solving, conflict management, and organizational skills in relation to effectively managing events and interpersonal issues.
- Gain an understanding and appreciation of Reinhardt University’s history and traditions and portray spirit and pride in Reinhardt to program participants.