In light of COVID19, Reinhardt University is moving all SOAR activities to an online platform.
As a new Reinhardt student, there are several “steps” you will need to take care of prior to your arrival on campus. Please review the list below to make sure you have completed all the necessary steps so that you start the semester off on the right foot.
SOAR is composed of multiple elements including
- online Zoom meetings called Zooming with SOAR
- an online Canvas course known as Flight School
- group sessions with Orientation Leaders Eagle Talk
Zooming with SOAR
Zooming with SOAR will be online meetings held throughout the summer through Zoom or Microsoft Teams. You will meet virtually individually and as a group of students with key Reinhardt personnel, such as the dean of your school or your Orientation Leader, to receive information important for your success. During your Zooming with SOAR session, you will learn about the many opportunities available at Reinhardt including Residential Life, Commuter Life, Athletics, Performing Arts, Campus Ministries, and Student Activities. We will have administrators from each department as well student leaders available to answer your questions as you transition into life as an Eagle. The Zooming with SOAR session will be held on your selected SOAR date, which will be synchronous (together with others) and introduce you to the Reinhardt community. These meetings will require stable internet connection.
SOAR dates for Freshmen:
- Friday, June 12 – Zooming with SOAR 10 am-12noon
- Saturday, June 13 – Zooming with SOAR 10 am-12noon
- Friday, July 10 – Zooming with SOAR 10 am-12noon
- Saturday, July 11 – Zooming with SOAR 10 am-12noon
- Friday, August 14 – Zooming with SOAR 10 am-12noon
SOAR dates for Transfer Students:
- Wednesday, July 8 – Zooming with SOAR 10 am-12noon
- Friday, August 14 – Zooming with SOAR 10 am-12noon
SOAR dates for Dual Enrollment Students:
- Friday, July 17 – Zooming with SOAR 10 am-12noon
Eagle Bound Click for more information about Eagle Bound
- Saturday, August 15-Sunday, August 16
Please Note: The schedules are subject to change. The final schedule will be handed out during check-in.
Canvas is an online system used by every student on campus to complete activities related to their classes, such as check grades, obtain instructions, or take quizzes. For SOAR, incoming students will be enrolled in a course in Canvas entitled ‘Flight School,’ that can be completed asynchronously (self-paced, independently). This online orientation will be like taking a class and includes different modules (units) to explore and quizzes to take to assure you’ve learned key information. Students will be given access to Flight School within 24 hours of their Zooming with SOAR session and need to have completed the course within 2 weeks following their Zooming with SOAR session.
During the Eagle Talk sessions, you will get to know your first Reinhardt family members, your Eagle Talk group! Your Orientation Leader will facilitate introductions, provide an overview of the Reinhardt experience, and let you know what to expect as you transition into life as an Eagle. There will be three Eagle Talk sessions that you must attend:
- Blue: Time Management and Balancing Life, School and Work
- Gold: Communicating as a Young Professional and Being Intentional with Communication
- Eagle: Thriving on Campus: Ways to get involved on campus and building your resume
During SOAR you will...
Getting Schooled & Dollars and Sense Sessions
In addition, through the SOAR you will meet one-on-one virtually with your School Dean to learn about your academic program and how your course sequence will look as well as be advised for Fall semester classes.
You will also have the opportunity to meet one-on-one virtually with your Financial Aid Advisor to review your financial aid and scholarship package and discuss tuition and fee related questions. Plan to set aside dates and times to have an individual online meeting with the dean of your school and another meeting with your financial aid advisor. Financial aid advisors and deans will be processing new student information throughout the summer and contacting students to arrange these meetings before your selected SOAR session.
To prepare for this SOAR experience, please consider the following steps:
- Assure you have reliable devices that can access the internet. Technology is a powerful tool that has allowed us to host an online orientation, but it does not always function properly. Testing your microphones on your devices, video quality, and internet connection beforehand will allow you a smooth SOAR experience. Questions or concerns about the technology required for SOAR can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check your email for important student information. In addition to receiving important updates about SOAR through your email, also be on the lookout for emails containing important student information from various departments across campus. Other important information you should receive in the coming weeks are instructions on how to access EagleWeb, another important web-based resource, and instructions to log in to your Reinhardt email account.
Please select the SOAR session which best serves your needs and fits your schedule. For a preliminary copy of SOAR schedules please see “Dates and Schedules.”
To ensure that you have a positive experience throughout New Student Orientation make sure you come prepared! Review the “Steps to SOAR” and complete all action items.