Health Center FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions for the Student Health Center

Q:  Who has access to my medical records?

A:  Everything in the Student Health Center is confidential. This means your health care will not be discussed with anyone without your written consent. Student workers are restricted from confidential and personal information and are trained in depth on matters of confidentiality.


Q:  What kind of immunization requirements will I have to meet?

A:  Before registering for classes, the Student Health Center must have record of two Measles, Mumps, and Rubella vaccinations, as well as a Health History Form. If you reside on campus, Georgia law also requires that you receive a meningitis vaccination or waive this immunization. Log on to to complete yours today!


Q:  If I am sick, can I spend the night at the Student Health Center?

A:  There are no provisions for overnight stay at the Student Health Center. The campus nurse will assess your physical condition during business hours and decide what type of care you will need and arrange that care accordingly. If you need medical attention after business hours, Urgent Care, Cherokee Health Department, and Northside Hospital Cherokee are easily accessible. Your RA can help you access after-hours care. If it is an immediate emergency dial 911 or 770.720.5911 to reach Reinhardt University’s Office of Public Safety.


Q:  Is there a charge for any services in the Student Health Center?

A:  No, there is no charge for over-the-counter medicines, loan equipment, resource materials, and nurse visits. Any service off campus, such as lab and x-rays will be billed by the facility to your private insurance.


Q: Are services free to students?

A: Yes, services at the Student Health Center are free to students


Q: What can I expect when I come in to see a nurse?

A: A student worker, the campus nurse or the campus counselor, will greet students at the door. You will fill out some preliminary paperwork and then will be escorted back into the clinic. From there, the nurse will ask some questions, take vital signs, and discuss health care options.


Q: Do I need to make an appointment?

A: You do not have to make an appointment to see the campus nurse, however it is highly recommended that students make appointments before they come in, either online or calling the Student Health Center, to avoid a long wait.


Q: How long does the Health Center keep my records?

A: The Student Health Center keeps student records on file 7 years after they graduate/transfer from Reinhardt University.


Q: Why seek counseling?

People usually attend counseling because they want to live a healthier lifestyle, make healthy decisions and generally “feel better.” Some examples of why people may come to counseling include:

  • Cope with depression or anxiety
  • Cope with stress
  • Improve self-esteem
  • Improve relationships
  • Understand their sexuality
  • Cope with grief
  • Become more assertive
  • Address drinking/drug use issues
  • Learn effective time management
  • Adjust to college life
  • Address an eating disorder
  • Address issues associated with sexual abuse/sexual assault


Q: What should I do if someone that I know is thinking about suicide?

Take it seriously. Call 911 or Reinhardt University’s Office of Public Safety at 770.720.5911. For other resources including local crisis lines and national suicide hotlines contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1.800.273.8255 or by texting 741741.


Q: When to make a referral for counseling

  • The problems or requests made are beyond your level of competence.
  • The boundaries of your role make it unwise to work with this student on the issues.
  • A student expresses a preference (directly or indirectly) to speak with someone else about their concerns.
  • After some time and effort, you feel like you are not making progress in helping this student.


Q: Helpful guidelines when making a referral

  • Consider helping the student make an appointment, perhaps by walking with the student to the office where the referral is being made or letting the student call from your office.
  • After a referral, let the student volunteer information they want to share. It may not be necessary for you to have details of a student’s interaction with another agency. In fact, at times the student may wish to stop talking to you about the problem altogether. Communicate continued concern and openness to help.
  • Once a referral is made, communication between the student and the referral agency is often confidential. You may be curious and feel unfinished in your work with the student, but you may have to let it be that way as the student begins to work with someone else.
  • There are few "quick fixes." Behaviors, attitudes, and feelings take time to change, and a student may show slow progress or, for a while, none at all. Trust the process and, again, communicate your continued concern and availability.


Q: How many sessions does the Campus Counselor offer?

A: The campus counselor provides short-term, individual counseling focused on helping students develop solutions to issues affecting their academic work and personal lives. Many students find that their issues can be resolved after only a couple of sessions. If you or your counselor determine that longer-term, individual counseling would be helpful, your counselor will assist with referrals to the community.

Share via