Skip to content
Lehigh Carbon Community College

Reinhardt University is welcoming to students from different countries across the world.  We value the presence of international students on our campus.

The Office of the Dean of Students works hard to make international students feel at home at Reinhardt and supports them throughout their time on campus. We look forward to working with our international students to make their stay at Reinhardt productive and fulfilling.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, contact the Registrar at or 770.720.5954.

Important Dates

The arrival for your study must align with the academic calendar of the university. When booking your flight, keep in mind that you may enter the U.S. no more than 30 days prior to the program start date listed on your Form I-20/DS-2019.

Please consult the  Academic Calendar  for important dates of your program. Make sure you view the calendar that is specific for your level of study and academic college or school.

The University has established specific arrival and move-in dates for each semester. Students will NOT have access to their campus housing before these dates.

Important Dates:

Fall 2024

  • Early Arrival Athletic Students Arrive – Thursday, August 1, 2024 (Football, Men’s and Women’s Soccer, Women’s Volleyball Only)
  • New Students Arrive – Saturday, August 10, 2024
  • Returning Students Arrive – Monday, August 12, 2024
  • First Day of Classes – Wednesday, August 14, 2024
  • Last Day of Classes – Friday, November 22, 2024
  • Exams – Monday, December 2, 2024 – Friday, December 6, 2024
  • Residence Halls Close – (Students must be checkout 24 hours after last exam)
  • End of Fall Semester/Term – Sunday, December 8, 2024

Spring 2025

  • New/Returning Students Arrive – Monday, January 6, 2025
  • First Day of Classes – Wednesday, January 8, 2025
  • Last Day of Classes – Thursday, April 17, 2025
  • Exams – Monday, April 21, 2025 – Friday, April 25, 2025
  • Commencement – Friday, May 2, 2025
  • Residence Halls Close – (Students must be checkout 24 hours after last exam)
  • End of Spring Semester/Term – Sunday, May 4, 2025

International Student Resources

The Office of the Dean of Students collaborates with other campus departments to provide resources and programs that help international students acclimate to life in the U.S. and thrive at Reinhardt. The office also helps to facilitate the sharing of diverse cultures with the rest of the college community.

International Student Enrollment and Admissions

Visit our Admissions page with further details in regards to Admission Requirements.

Flight Ready Clearance Process

The Flight Ready program assists students and their families by outlining the steps to becoming an RU student. Before moving into Reinhardt residence halls, participating in extracurricular activities and continuing with enrollment at the University, students must take care to complete each item in the Flight Ready list prior to the beginning of each traditional academic term. Click here to read about the Flight Ready program.

Student Services & Resources

Reinhardt University’s mission is to educate the whole person by developing the intellectual, social, personal, vocational, spiritual and physical dimensions of its students. There are several offices and services designed to support your happiness, academic success, health, and safety while you are at Reinhardt. Click here to read about RU Student Services and Resources.

International Student Health and Accident Insurance Policy

To protect you and your family from financial strain in case you experience a serious illness or injury while studying in the U.S., Reinhardt University and your visa status requires health insurance throughout your enrollment. There is no deviation from this policy. To be clearall international students are required to have health insurance. 

Reinhardt University students are covered by a Student Accident Insurance policy in case of accidents on campus (slips, trips, falls, etc.), and must be seen by the Student Health Center to utilize that policy. It will cover in excess to the primary health insurance that you have purchased.  

For Student Athletes ONLY:  Reinhardt has selected a standardized policy to meet the requirement for your visa and your role in athletics. This comprehensive health insurance plan is offered by Gallagher Student Health and United Health Care Student Resources, which specializes in providing health insurance to international students, scholars, and travelers. You should be receiving this information directly from your coach.

When budgeting for your time at Reinhardt, remember to include this cost, as health insurance is mandatory. 

Airport Shuttles

Reinhardt is pleased to offer transportation to and from Hartsfield Jackson International Airport. If you would like to utilize this service, please coordinate with your athletic coach or program sponsor as you are booking your flights. Remember to schedule arrival and departure with the appropriate move-in dates and the end of the semester dates. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Dean of Students at We are excited to welcome you to Reinhardt University!

Visa Information

All non-U.S. citizens will need to apply for an F-1 student visa in order to study in the United States. Once you receive an offer of admission, you will be asked to complete our I-20 support form and submit it along with documents showing that you have sufficient finances available to cover the cost of study (after deducting scholarships). You will be issued a form I-20, which will allow you to apply for your student visa. You will receive more information about the visa application process after you are admitted. 

How do I obtain a Visa after being admitted to Reinhardt University? 

Once an international student is admitted, and pays the enrollment deposit, they will be sent an I-20 form. The student will then be able to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. ( 

Then you will set a Visa appointment with the nearest US consulate or embassy. Please carry all supporting documents including I-20, SEVIS I-901 fee receipt, proof of finances, acceptance letter and any other required documentation.   


Immigration Requirements for Entry to the U.S. as a F-1 Student 

Reinhardt University has prepared this information for students who have a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status (SEVIS Form I-20) for a program of study at Reinhardt University It describes the steps you need to take in order to pay the SEVIS fee, apply for an F-1 student visa, if necessary, and to enter the U.S. as a student in F-1 immigration status. 


What is a Visa? 

A visa is permission to request entry into the United States, necessary for citizens of most foreign countries. It is a document stamped into a page in your passport. When you want to travel to the United States, you must first apply for a visa at an American embassy or consulate abroad. A consular officer decides whether you are qualified for a visa. A visa does not permit entry to the U.S., but it does confirm your eligibility to travel to a United States port of entry to request entry. At the US port-of-entry a U.S. immigration officer decides whether to allow you to enter and how long you can stay for any particular visit. Only the U.S. immigration officer has the authority to permit you to enter the United States. 


Do NOT Obtain a Tourist Visa 

A B1/B2 visa is issued to a person wishing to enter the United States for specific business or pleasure objectives. Anyone coming to the United States with intent to take classes should NOT enter the United States as a tourist using a B1/B2 visa or using the WT-Visa Waiver Process! You intend to be a student, so you should not apply for a tourist visa. You may encounter immigration problems if you enter the United States using an inappropriate visa. Don’t worry if you already have a tourist visa in your passport; this will not prevent you from obtaining a student visa. You cannot attend Reinhardt University if you enter the United States on a tourist visa. 


What Does the Visa Expiration Date Mean? 

The visa expiration date is shown on the visa stamp. Depending on your nationality, visas can be issued for any number of entries, from as little as one entry to as many as multiple (unlimited) entries, for the same purpose of travel. This generally means the visa is valid or can be used from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel for the same purpose. The expiration date for the visa should not be confused with the authorized length of your stay in the United States; it has nothing to do with the authorized length of your stay in the United States for any given visit. Although Reinhardt has admitted you to the university, if you are coming directly from overseas, the United States Embassy/Consulate makes the final decision in granting you a student visa (not required for Canadians). 


Where Do I Apply for a Visa? 

The United States Embassy/Consulate closest to your home will process your visa application. 


When Should I Apply for a Visa? 

Immediately after you receive your Reinhardt University admission and immigration documents, you should make an appointment to apply for your student visa. Most Embassies/Consulates have specific hours to review non-immigrant visa applications. Most applicants will go to the Embassy/Consulate and have to wait in long lines. You should check with the United States Consulate located closest to your home for their application procedures.

Most universities and colleges in the United States begin their academic year in August, so the summer months are a very busy time at the Embassies and Consulates around the world. Plan ahead so you can obtain your visa and arrive at Reinhardt in time for orientation and class.

Remember that the Embassy/Consulate will close for both United States and local holidays. Because delays are common at the consulates, arrange an interview long before the day you plan to travel to the United States. 


Additional Links: 

New Student Orientation

Reinhardt offers a truly engaging orientation experience for students. Click here to read about RU Student Orientation.

If you choose to begin your education at Reinhardt during fall semester, you will have the option to participate in our international student reception. This reception will take place before classes begin on campus, giving you the opportunity to arrive and arrange your things in your room and get adjusted to campus whereabouts before the rush of students! Additionally, during this time you will have the opportunity to learn about campus life and services with other new international students! 


Reinhardt University – International Student Association


The International Student Association (ISA) encourages intercultural, educational, social, and global exchange among diverse students at Reinhardt University and hosts various programs and initiatives which serve to overcome intercultural barriers. ISA is an organization that merges all of the nationalities represented on the RU campus to promote international friendships and cultural appreciation among all the students at Reinhardt University.

Mission: To create a welcoming/unique Reinhardt experience for our international students so they can thrive


  • To foster a fraternal relationship and better understanding between International students and American students
  • To promote culture and global learning through interaction between International students and American students on RU campus
  • To promote/create a welcoming environment in which international student can thrive
  • To promote diversity and a multicultural environment 

Reinhardt University – Indian Student Organization

Mission Statement:

The Indian Student Organization (ISO) at Reinhardt University fosters a welcoming and inclusive community for students of Indian descent. We aim to:

  • Promote Unity and Cultural Identity: The ISO serves as a platform for Indian students to connect with each other, celebrate their heritage, and build lasting friendships.
  • Facilitate Reinhardt University Integration: We provide comprehensive support to Indian students navigating academic life, campus resources, and cultural adjustments at Reinhardt University.
  • Offer Ongoing Assistance: The ISO recognizes the unique challenges faced by international students and offers personalized guidance and support as needed.

Core Values:

  • Community: We believe in creating a supportive network where members feel a sense of belonging and celebrate each other’s achievements.
  • Empowerment: The ISO empowers Indian students to thrive at Reinhardt University by providing resources, mentorship, and fostering their academic and personal success.
  • Respect and Inclusivity: We foster a respectful and inclusive environment that values diverse backgrounds and experiences.

Reinhardt University – Southeast Asian Leadership Club

The mission of Reinhardt University’s Southeast Asia Leadership Club is to (1) serve a growing community of Southeast Asians and SEA-allies who are interested in and promoting the Southeast Asia culture and fostering networking with Southeast Asia business and communities; (2) facilitate student and community outreach to/from Southeast Asian region and promote the Reinhardt University brand in the region; and (3) be a source of academic and professional development support to community members.


If you bring a computer, each residence hall room has Internet access, and there is wireless Internet access campus-wide. You will also have access to computers (with Internet access) in our computer labs. You should plan to use the Reinhardt network system which you can use on any computer.


Because of the seasonal variation in the climate, it is important to bring clothing that will be suitable for you during your stay here. The Waleska area does have four distinct seasons, with three equal months of winter, spring, summer and fall weather.

We suggest that you come equipped with some clothing for each season that you will experience here, but don’t try to bring everything. You can find clothing here at very reasonable costs, so it’s better to come here with a variety of clothing, then buy other items that you may need once you are here. There is no official dress code at Reinhardt University. Many men and women, even professors teaching classes, choose to wear jeans and casual shirts or tee shirts. You should bring at least one formal outfit for interviews and formal occasions.


We provide housing on campus in one of our residence halls to all students for the duration of their stay.  Most students live in residence halls on the Reinhardt College campus.  The residence halls, cafeteria, and athletic facilities are all within short, five to 10-minute walks. You could walk across campus in about fifteen minutes. So, your life is quite easy and convenient. Click here to read more about residence life.


Students who live on campus eat their meals in Gordy Dining Center. At every meal there are many choices, so you can always find something good to eat. The Starbuck campus coffee shop offers a wide selection of premium coffees and pastries. For special diets (vegetarian, religious restrictions), the dining hall staff can usually work with you and provide healthy and tasty alternatives. Click to read about menus and RU dining


RU students have plenty of activities to choose from! All international students have full access to Reinhardt University facilities and functions. The University has a fitness center, a gymnasium and athletic fields. 

Students can also join in all University activities, usually at no extra cost. The University programming board offers a number of exciting events each week throughout the year. You can join numerous clubs and organizations, such as faith-basedleadership-focusedacademic-focused, and recreation-focused. All international students are encouraged to join and become active members of the International Student Association. For more adventurous students, join an intramural sports club or participate in an outdoor experience. Click to read more about getting involved at RU

Banking in the US

When you open an account, you should bring your passport, Reinhardt ID, and immigration documents to the bank with you. As a full-time student, you might be able to open a special checking account with low or no service charges. 

These banks do not require a Georgia driver’s license or social security number: 

  • Bank of America 
  • SunTrust Bank now Truist (bring your Reinhardt enrollment letter or mail sent to your home address to prove your residency in your home country) 

Questions to ask when Banking in the US: 

  • What is the minimum balance required? Is there a penalty if my balance goes below that minimum?  
  • Will my checking account earn any interest?  
  • What will I pay in monthly service charges? 
  • What is the per-check charge? How many free checks can I write each month? 
  • What other services does this bank offer, and how much does it cost for me to use them (for example, a safe deposit box, exchanging foreign currency, or getting certified or cashier’s checks)? 
  • Can I pay bills online through my bank account? 

Mobile Phones

You have 2 options for mobile phone service in the United States: pre-paid service or contract-based service. 

Pre-paid service 

With pre-paid service, you purchase a phone and add minutes to your account. This is the more expensive option, but it gives you more flexibility because pre-paid service does not require a social security number or a US credit history, and it allows for short-term cell phone use. 

Contract-based service 

Contract-based service is less expensive, but it requires a 1-2-year commitment. Also, if you do not have a social security number, most companies will make you pay a security deposit (usually several hundred dollars). Even if you have a social security number, you might still have to pay a deposit if you have not been in the US long enough to establish a US credit history. 


Find a store: 

Driving in the US

If you are a non-resident with a valid driver’s license from your home country, you can use your out-of-country license to drive in Georgia for up to 1 year. However, if you plan to drive in the U.S., we recommend that you get a Georgia driver’s license for a number of reasons: 

  • Georgia defines a resident as someone who maintains a permanent home in the state. Unfortunately, regulations also note that engaging in employment or enrolling children in public schools can lead to a presumption of resident status. 
  • When you buy a car in Georgia you must register the vehicle in your county, which requires a valid Georgia driver’s license or state identification card. 
  • A police officer conducting a traffic stop may ask to see your passport or visa to verify your foreign license, so you should carry it with you when driving. If they are not aware of the provision allowing foreign citizens to drive using an out-of-country license, they might still give you a citation for driving without a license. 

International students in the U.S. may want the option of purchasing or renting a personal vehicle during their stay. This is a common need if your you don’t live in an area served by public transit and if your personal finances permit. To legally drive in the U.S. you will need a driver’s license (DL) issued by the U.S. state you live in. A state issued DL or Georgia ID Care are also the most common forms of personal identification. For more information, please see below. 


Do I need a Georgia Driver’s License? 

Please be sure to review the Georgia Department of Driver Services website Drivers from Other Nations for more information regarding the use of a Foreign License. If you plan to drive, an international student must obtain a Georgia License within 30 days of arriving in Georgia. Please be sure to refer to the Georgia Department of Driver Services website for any updates or changes. 


What is a Georgia ID Card? 

An identification card contains the same personal information, photo, signature, and special protection against alteration and fraud as a driver’s license. It is issued at the same Centers that issue driver’s licenses and looks very similar to a driver’s license. Go to the Department of Driver Services (DDS) website to find the most convenient location for you. To obtain a State of Georgia ID, take the following documents with you: 

  • Unexpired passport 
  • Unexpired visa 
  • I-94 card 
  • I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) 
  • 2 documents showing proof of local residence, such as a signed lease agreement, a utility bill or a bank statement (all must have your printed name and local address—each must be issued within the last 60 days) 
  • $20 cash 
  • Social Security Card (Your SSN will be verified if you do not have the original SSN card.)  
  • NOTE: For those driver’s who are not citizens and not authorized to work in the United States, you will need to obtain a Form SSA-L676 ‘SSN CARD DENIAL NOTICE’ from a local SSA office before visiting a DDS Customer Service Center to apply for a driver’s license. You may contact the SSA at (800) 772-1213 or the Social Security website and select ‘field office locator’ to find the SSA office nearest you. Form SSAL676 is not available from the web site. After obtaining the form, please bring it to the Customer Service Center when you apply for your driver’s license or identification card. In addition to the form, please remember to bring your valid passport and valid I-94, and proof of Georgia residency. 


How do I get a Georgia Driver’s License? 

Please be sure to review the Georgia Department of Driver Services website Information for Non-US Citizens for more information on obtaining a Georgia Driver License. You may make an appointment at the South DeKalb Mall, Marietta, Lithonia, and Lawrenceville Centers by calling (678)413-8500 and selecting option 3. Other Centers will provide the service but do not accept appointments. 

Take the following documents with you: 

  • Unexpired passport 
  • Unexpired visa 
  • I-94 card 
  • I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) 
  • 2 documents showing proof of local residence, such as a signed lease agreement, a utility bill or a bank statement (all must have your printed name and local address—each must be issued within the last 60 days) 
  • $20 cash 
  • Social Security Card (Your SSN will be verified if you do not have the original SSN card.)  
  • NOTE: For those driver’s who are not citizens and not authorized to work in the United States, you will need to obtain a Form SSA-L676 ‘SSN CARD DENIAL NOTICE’ from a local SSA office before visiting a DDS Customer Service Center to apply for a driver’s license. You may contact the SSA at (800) 772-1213 or visit the SSA website and select ‘field office locator’ to find the SSA office nearest you. Form SSAL676 is not available from the web site. After obtaining the form, please bring it to the Customer Service Center when you apply for your driver’s license or identification card. In addition to the form, please remember to bring your valid passport and valid I-94, and proof of Georgia residency. 

All driver’s license applicants must pass a written test, road test, and vision exam. Click here for additional information. 

Where do I get a Georgia Driver’s License? 

Go to the Department of Driver Services (DDS) website to find the most convenient location for you. All locations are open Tuesday-Friday from 8am to 6pm and Saturday from 8am to 12pm. Note that they are closed on Mondays. Tuesdays are normally the busiest day. The closest Driver’s License Customer Service Center to Reinhardt University is in Canton, Georgia located on 220 Brown Industrial Parkway, Suite 200 Canton, GA 30114. 


F-1 students are eligible for certain types of employment both on- and off-campus. Please refer to the links to the left for guidance in how to legally pursue employment in the U.S. while on F-1 status. 

Do not engage in any kind of employment until you are certain that you have the proper authorization. 

social security card is required for any students working on and off campus. You must obtain a letter from Enrollment Management to apply for you social security card. Click here for information about what documentation is need to apply for a Social Security Card. 

 Social Security Office – Marietta


1415 Franklin Gateway SE 

Marietta GA, 30067 


  • On-Campus Employment 
  • Click here to learn more about working oncampus through the Work-Study Program coordinated through the Office of Financial Aid. 
  • As a full-time F-1 student, you can work up to 10 hours per week during the academic year, and an unlimited number of hours per week during vacation periods as long as you work on campus and you are in good academic standing. 
  • Off-Campus Employment 
  • Click here to learn more about opportunities to work offcampus coordinated through the Office of Vocational & Career Services. 
  • There are several types of off-campus employment authorization processes that apply to F-1 students. To ensure that you follow the rules accurately, you must speak with the International Student Coordinator before you take any other steps to begin an off-campus job. The following is an overview of the different options. 
  • What is paid (compensated) employment?
    • U.S. law defines compensated employment as work performed in exchange for a benefit. Employment authorization is necessary for any type of compensated employment: 
      • If you receive a salary, hourly wage, fees, books, supplies, meals, transportation, or any other benefit in exchange for work performed. 
      • If the individual normally holding your position receives payment. 
      • Note that you may need work authorization even if you are not being paid! Speak to the International Student Coordinator before engaging in volunteer or unpaid work. 
      • Note: You cannot work legally off-campus on F-1 status unless you have been approved for one of the employment authorizations. 
      • Paid or Unpaid internship for credit 
      • Internship experience during or immediately after your degree can give you an integrated learning experience, practical job skills, and intercultural business skills that can be helpful in exploring and pursuing your career goals. International students can apply for unpaid or paid internships, though there are additional considerations related to your student visa. Please see the International Student Counselor regarding Curricular Practice (CPT) Training allowance. For internships on CPT or Optional Practical Training (OPT) allowances, your internship or job must be directly related to your degree programIf you are applying for CPT or OPT, you must receive your work authorization prior to starting your internship. Failure to do so will jeopardize your visa status. When looking for internships it’s important to know that if an employer requires permanent work authorization, then they’re not interested in international applicants. Many employers use their internship program as a “pipeline” for full-time hires. If they’re not willing or able to sponsor an H1B work visa, they may not consider international applicants for internships either. 
      • Off-campus work (not for internship credit) 
      • Students in F-1 status must request work authorization from International Services and from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before engaging in any off-campus employment. F-1 students are eligible to work off-campus in certain situations on a part-time basis after having been in valid F-1 status for one full academic year. The type of employment authorization a student may receive will depend on the nature of the employment, the student’s immigration status, and the relationship of the employment to the student’s academic program. 
      • Off-Campus Employment After Graduation 
      • F-1 students can apply for up to one year of post-graduation work authorization called Optional Practical Training (OPT). OPT is a continuation of your F-1 status. You must apply to the USCIS before you complete your program, and the job must be related to your field of study. Any pre-completion Optional Practical Training will be subtracted from the total 12 months of post-completion Optional Practical Training available upon completion of studies. Part-time OPT is deducted at half the rate (1 month will be deducted for 2 months of part-time authorization). Students may receive a maximum of 12 months of Optional Practical Training per degree on F-1 status (with the exception of certain majors in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, who can apply for a 24-month extension). After completing a second degree (at a higher level) oF-1 status, students become eligible for a second 12-month period of OPT status. 
      • To learn more about the application process, see the ISSS website and talk to the International Student Coordinator. The approval process may take up to three months, so apply well in advance of graduation. 
      • A final option for authorization of off-campus employment after graduation is for an employer to – if they choose to – help you apply to change your visa status (to another type such as G-4, A1, or H1-B) based on your employment after you graduate. You can talk to the International Student Coordinator to get more information about this option. 

International Student Association

The International Student Association encourages international friendship and cultural appreciation among students of all nationalities represented on the RU campus. This organization helps to foster greater unity with international students and Reinhardt University.

Click here to read about the RU International Student Association.

Host Family Program

The Office of the Dean of Students coordinates the Host Family Program, whereby international students are matched with families of Reinhardt University alumni, faculty, and staff as well as community members for informal social and cultural exchange. 

Being a part of the Host Family Program gives international students the opportunity to make new friends, experience the family life of a local Reinhardt family, and contribute to greater understanding of other cultures by educating Americans about their home country. 

All Reinhardt host family programs are non-residential programs. To be clear, unlike traditional homestays, students do NOT live with their hosts.   

We have found friendship family relationships are beneficial and rewarding for the student.  Students live in on-campus housing and connect with a host family primarily for the purpose of friendship and cross-cultural exchange. Also, connecting with your student(s) is flexible and based on your schedule (we suggest connecting at least once a month). Students are often busy with classes and on-campus activities, however they still value having an American family. 

Shopping, museums, lunch/dinner at local restaurants, sports and cultural performances are all very popular activities for host family participants. There are several organized events per year to which host families are invited, such as the Welcome Reception for New International Students & Scholars in the fall. 


What does a host family do? 

Host family relationships are very simple: Do whatever you normally do with your day and with your family, only include an international student. Friendship families are not expected to go on continuous sight-seeing trips, but rather incorporate the student into your normal routine. Sometimes families will invite their student(s) to join them for an activity, a meal, or to go with them on a short trip. Be yourself, get to know them, and have fun. Our office is here to assist you and will occasionally provide host family activities during the semester to help you and your student build a friendship. 


Where do I begin? 

  • Students – Find a Host 
  • Ready to develop a life-long friendship during your time in the United States?  Your host family looks forward to meeting you and learning more about your country and culture. 
  • Apply for a host family. 
  • Family – Become a Host 
  • Welcoming an international student into your home is a life-changing experience. Let us connect you with the exciting and rewarding experience of becoming a Reinhardt host family. Host families range from single individuals to families with children. They are active members of the community and have a desire to learn more about another culture. Host families commit to hosting an international student for the duration of their stay at Reinhardt. This is usually for a four-year period.  
  • Complete a host family application. 
  • Our host family coordinator will contact you concerning a home visit and background check. 
  • Basic responsibilities of hosts are initiating contact with the student(s) once you are notified by the Office of Dean of Students about a match and aiming to get together once per month but to keep in contact with each other on a more regular basis. 

Things to Know Before You Arrive

International students can use information on this website to learn about the process and rules for studying in the United States.

Tuition & Fees

Learn more about tuition and fees and Reinhardt.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

In addition to the above resources, there are usually questions asked by all International Students when attending Reinhardt University. A few of those questions and answers are listed below.

What is the cost of attendance?

At Reinhardt University, we’re dedicated to partnering with you and your family to help you determine how to fund your education—the most important investment you can make in your future! 

The total cost of attendance includes the standards of tuition, fees, room, board, books and supplies, transportation, and a small allowance for miscellaneous expenses. Some students will spend more, while others may spend less than the estimates depending on your personal preferences and circumstances. We use the estimates below when determining eligibility for need-based financial aid. Please note also that you may pay a different amount dependent upon your specific course of study, and that all costs are subject to change. 

In your planning, you may also be interested in using Reinhardt’s Net Price Calculator, designed to give you an estimate of your eligibility for financial aid, which will help you gauge your out-of-pocket expenses.  

The term Cost of Attendance (COA) refers to an estimate of total expenses that students may incur while attending Reinhardt for the academic year, which will include direct institutional costs as well as indirect costs. This estimate is utilized in the mandated calculation to determine a student’s eligibility for Title IV Federal Financial Aid programs consisting of grants, work-study, and student loans; however, students may wish to refer to these estimated expenses to assist in their budget planning process. These COAs include tuition, mandatory fees, room, board, books and supplies, transportation, miscellaneous, and loan fees. 

Click here to find out more details about Reinhardt’s cost of attendance. 

Do I need to submit an Immunization record?

Yes, all students must submit an immunization record. Your health plays a vital role in how successful you are in achieving your academic, social and personal goals. At Reinhardt, we require all students to have certain information on file at the Student Health Center. This information includes a completed Health History form (different from athletic department) and a complete immunization record.

In addition, all resident students are required by Georgia law to receive the meningococcal meningitis vaccine, or sign a waiver stating their understanding of the requirement, but expressing a choice to decline the vaccine. Students who are commuters are exempt from the meningitis requirement but are required to complete a Health History form and supply the Student Health Center with a complete immunization record. These documents include: 

  • Student Health Records 
  • A complete Health History Form 
  • A complete Immunization records 
  • All resident students are required by Georgia law to receive the meningococcal meningitis vaccine, or sign a waiver stating their understanding of the requirement but express a choice to decline the vaccine.  

Visit the Student Health Center to learn more and to access the required health forms. 

Can international students work on campus?

Yes, you can work on campus only if you have an F-1 Visa through the University’s Work-Study Program. 

A social security card is required for any students working on campus. Click to find out more about acquiring a social security card.

You must obtain a letter from Enrollment Management to apply for you social security card. 


Social Security Office 
1415 Franklin Gateway SE
Marietta GA, 30067 

Do international students receive financial aid?

Most foreign citizens are not eligible for federal student aid from the U.S. Department of Education. There are, however, some instances in which non-citizens may be eligible for financial aid from the U.S. federal government.

Students are encouraged to visit to learn more. Reinhardt offers all students the same access to university merit and athletic scholarships, and all applicants are reviewed for scholarships at the same time they are reviewed for admission.  For consideration, prospective students must submit either SAT or ACT scores. Click here to read more about RU financial aid.

If I am undocumented, am I considered an international student?

Only students who are seeking F-1 student visas are considered international for admissions purposes. However, undocumented students are eligible to complete the International Student Financial Aid Form for additional need-based aid. 

What does the international student population look like at Reinhardt University?

Reinhardt currently has international students representing over 20 countriesThe international student population accounts for approximately 4% of the undergraduate population and continues to increase each year. 

Currently, Reinhardt University is home to more than 40 international students from more than 20 different countries (not including the U.S.) including Argentina, Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, Columbia, Dominican Republic, France, Germany, Iceland, India, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Morocco, Nigeria, Paraguay, Serbia, Spain, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and Venezuela.  

Where do I fly into the US and when do I need to arrive?

You can arrive up to 30 days before your program start dateYou will fly into Atlanta, GA – Hartsfield Jackson International AirportTo find out more about Hartsfield Jackson International Airport visit Student Orientation is August 15th, you will be allowed to move in on that day.

Can I stay on campus during school breaks?

Students can stay on campus during all breaks, except for winter breaks in December. Students staying on campus over the summer must enroll in courses and/or obtain summer employment on campus. 

How can I get involved on campus as an international student?

Whether you play a sport, are passionate about a cause, or have a hobby you would like to continue through college, Reinhardt offers many opportunities for international students to become involved on campus. Reinhardt has over 40 clubs and different levels of sports participations for athletes, including club and intramural sports. Students are encouraged to visit Student Activities for more information on different ways to get involved on campus.  

Do students live on campus?

At Reinhardt University, 70% of the entire main campus student population live on campus, which makes for a very rich and engaging campus life. Living in a residential dorm provides many social and academic opportunities for all students, and international students especially benefit from living on-campus as a way to connect with other students, improve their English language skills, and further benefit from the resources available on campus. Students are encouraged to visit Residence Life for more information about living on campus. 

How far is Reinhardt from the nearest shopping area?

Although, the City of Waleska is a small close-knit town, there are several local businesses in easy walking distance from campus. 

  • United States Postal Service 
  • Dollar General 
  • Chevron Gas Station & Waleska Super Mart
  • Valero Gas Station
  • Subway Restaurant
  • Peachtree Cafe
  • Waleska Animal Hospital 
  • Hair, Etc 

 The closest shopping area beyond the City of Waleska is found in the City of Canton, 15-minute drive from campus. It includes grocery shopping and a quite a number of restaurants. 

What are my immigration responsibilities?

Below is a summary of the immigration responsibilities for F-1 students. If F-1 students do not fulfill any one of these responsibilities, they may jeopardize their eligibility for immigration benefits, including employment on- or off- campus.  

  • Register for and successfully complete a full course of study each semester. Under certain circumstances, F-1 students may be authorized to enroll for less than a full course of study and still be considered full time. F-1 students are not required to register during the summer vacation unless summer is the first semester of admission. 
  • Obtain a new I-20 before changing schools or academic programs. F-1 students must obtain a new I-20 each time they transfer schools or change academic level (i.e., Bachelors to Masters). 
  • If you are applying for a new program at an American University, please submit a new Personal and Immigration Information Request Form and new financial documents (no more than three months old). 
  • Transfers must be completed no later than 15 days after beginning classes. 
  • Complete your program before your I-20 expires (Get a program extension if necessary). F-1 students have permission to study in the United States up to the expected program end on the I-20. To qualify for a program extension, students must demonstrate that the additional time is needed because of compelling academic reasons or a documented medical illness. 
  • Always obtain Employment Authorization BEFORE you begin working. Students must ALWAYS obtain written employment authorization from the International Student Coordinator and/or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services before beginning any employment, including on- and off-campus employment. This includes department internships, Cooperative Education, or course work for which you receive any compensation (including salary, tuition, books, supplies, food, or transportation). F-1 students interested in employment should refer to the ISSS handout, “A Summary of Employment Eligibility for F-1 Students”, to learn about the ways for F-1 students to qualify for work authorization. You are not allowed to work off-campus unless you have specific written permission from the International Student Coordinator and/or USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services). F-1 students may, however (with ISSS permission), work on-campus up to 20 hours total per week during the school year, and full-time on-campus during summers and vacation periods. Please see the International Student Coordinator if you have questions concerning on- or off-campus work permission. 
  • Keep your passport valid at all times. USCIS will not approve applications for employment or other immigration benefits unless your passport is valid or in the process of being re-validated. 
  • Notify USCIS and the International Student Coordinator of any address change.  
  • Travel outside the United States: Have the International Student Coordinator sign the travel authorization on your I-20 before you depart the United States temporarily. 
  • To re-enter the United States, you will need a valid F-1 visa, passport, and I-20. Contact the International Student Coordinator regarding automatic revalidation of status for brief visits to Canada, Mexico, and most Caribbean islands if your F-1 visa has expired. 
  • Leave the U.S. within 60 days after completing your program. Once you complete all requirements for your program, even if your I-20 has not expired, you have only 60 days to either: 
  • leave the United States 
  • change to another visa status 
  • begin a new program of study or transfer to a new school 
  • Failure to comply with these regulations will mean the loss of your F-1 student status and has very serious implications. For example, you could be prevented from re-entering the U.S. for three to ten years, depending on the length of your status violation. For violations of 180-360 days, a three-year exclusion is imposed; for violations of more than 360 days, you may be prevented from re-entering the U.S. for ten years. Simply registering full-time in the next semester or stopping the unauthorized work does not put you back in status. There are steps you can take with USCIS to recover your status, but the sooner you begin, the better your chances for approval. 


Meet with the International Student Coordinator immediately if you have questions or concerns about your F-1 student status. 

What do I need for travel and re-entry into the United States?

When you travel outside the United States the following documents are required to re-enter the United States and may be requested by the U.S. Immigration service inspector at the port of entry. Please be aware that the U.S. Immigration service officer may ask many questions to verify whether you are a student making normal progress in your program. 

Documents needed: 

  • Valid passport and visa 
  • Valid I-20 or DS-2019 
  • Current International Student Coordinator travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 
  • Financial documents dated within the past three (3) months to cover at least one full academic year 
  • University Transcripts (available from the Registrar’s Office – allow several days to process) 
  • Receipt of SEVIS-fee payment if applicable 
  • Proof of pre-registration for the next semester (available from the Registrar’s Office – allow several days to process) 
  • Reduced Course Load form or forms signed by an ISSS advisor and your academic advisor for any semester you were registered less than full-time 
  • Copy of Leave of Absence form 
  • Original Employment Authorization Document (EAD card for OPT) 
  • Letter of Employment from employer if on OPT 

Also, please check the following website for additional information on travel: U.S. Embassies overseas:  

What services are available for students with documented disability?

Students with documented disability are required by ADA to self-identify. Therefore, if you have a documented disability, you are required to register with the Academic Support Office which is our Disability Services office, and it is located in the Basement of Lawson Building.

First, the proper disability documentation must be provided. Once the documentation has been assessed, an intake interview will be scheduled with the Director to identify appropriate accommodations that will be needed for class(es) or lab(s). Finally, faculty notification letters are given to the students for delivery to each of his/her professors. Click here for more information about services by ASO, please visit the ASO website. 

What is a Social Security Number (SSN) and what steps to take to get my social security number?

Social Security Number (SSN) is a 9-digit identification number, assigned by the U.S. government, that is used for tax reporting purposes. It is NOT employment authorization. You must obtain a letter from Enrollment Management to apply for you social security card. Click here for information about what documentation is need to apply for a Social Security Card. 

Social Security Office
1415 Franklin Gateway SE 
Marietta GA, 30067 

F and J studentare eligible for a SSN. F1 students must have a job offer. Students who have never worked on campus, but who find authorized employment off campus (like CPT or OPT) are also eligible to apply for a SSN. F2 dependents may be eligible for a SSN. Please contact ISSSJ1 students may obtain a SSN with or without a job offer. 

Non-US citizens who are legally employed are required to provide a SSN: 

  • For wage and tax reporting purposes 
  • For tax returns with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) 

However, banks, apartment owners, telephone companies, and many other businesses typically ask you for a SSN even though you may not be eligible for one. Those businesses should be able to provide you services without a SSN. If they persist, ISSS can write a generic letter explaining why you are not eligible for a SSN and therefore, why they should not deny you their service.  

How do I apply for a SSN? 

F1 students: need two (2) SSN support letters. One will come from your employer, and the other from Reinhardt University. J1 students or scholars: can present either an employment letter, or a support letter from Reinhardt University in case you would like a SSN but are not employed. Take the required letters to the Social Security Administration (SSA) office to request a free SSN.  It will be mailed to your local address in the U.S. in about 2 weeks. 

How to request a SSN support letter from Reinhardt University? 

The International Student Counselor will verify enrollment, lawful presence and other information before processing your SSN Letter request.  

I have my SSN support letter from Reinhardt University. What’s Next?  

Go to the nearest Social Security Administration (SSA) office. To find the nearest location, click here. 

Bring the following with you: 

  • EVERYONE: Passport, I-94 Card, and completed Form SS-5 available on the SSA website at 
  • F-1 Students: 
  • For on-campus employment: Valid I-20 form, employer letter, and Reinhardt University letter 
  • For CPT employment: Valid I-20, CPT authorization, employer letter, and Reinhardt University letter 
  • For OPT employment: I-20, OPT authorization, EAD card, employer letter, and Reinhardt University letter 
  • J-1 Students: DS-2019 form and employment offer letter or Reinhardt University support letter. 
  • J-1 Scholars/Researchers: DS-2019 and employment letter. 
  • J-2 Students:  DS-2019 for the J-1 student/scholar and J-2 dependent, valid EAD (Employment Authorization Document) from U.S. Citizen & Immigration Services (USCIS) 
  • H-1 Students: A Copy of Form I-797 showing approval of H-1 petition 

There is no cost to apply for a SSN. After submitting the application, the SSN card will arrive by mail in approximately two-four weeks at your local address in the US. 

How do I receive mail and packages?

Please be aware that there is no on-campus postal service for students; however, Post Office Boxes are available for a nominal fee at the Waleska Post Office which is located across the street from the campus Please do not have packages or mail sent to the University’s administration building.  

To reserve a PO Box online with the Waleska Post Office, visit then

1) select Manage Your Mail
2) Select Reserve or Renew a PO Box
3) Click Find a PO Box
4) Pick the Waleska Post Office by entering following ZIP Code: 30183
5) Select Waleska Post Office
6) Complete the online application
7) Pay with any major credit card
8) Bring the printed form, your emailed receipt, and two IDs to the Waleska Post Office to pick up your key.

Where do I go for academic and tutorial support?

The Center for Student Success (CSS), in room 35 of the Lawson Academic Center, provides students with the tools they need to succeed. Whether those tools involve professional guidance in organizing papers, budgeting time, and studying skills, the CSS operates free of charge to all Reinhardt University students. Additionally, this center works with students who need extra instruction in math, science, English and other disciplines. Tutors will work with students in a relaxed atmosphere where they will set goals and work towards those ends. Staffed with professors, adjunct professors and select students who have been trained to tutor, the center aids students in both their scholarly and professional pursuits. To find out more and to make an appointment for tutoring, call the CSS at extension 9232 or make an appointment online. You will be notified when and with whom your appointment will be. 

What on campus health services are available?

Located in Smith Johnston Hall, the Student Health Center offers services to support each student’s pursuit of a healthy life. A nurse is available for regular appointments to treat minor illnesses and injuries and to provide assessment, referral, and preventive care, as well as to share health-related educational materials.

A licensed professional counselor offers a broad range of confidential counseling services and is a resource for referral to a community counselor and/or other mental health services professionals. Professional services are offered by appointment. The Student Health Center is also home to the University Food Pantry. 

How can I get access to the food pantry?

With the support of our local community, Reinhardt University has established a food pantry on campus within the Student Health Center to provide stigma-free access to non-perishable food items and basic supplies to food insecure students in need.  Click here to find out more about the RU Food Pantry.

What happens if I am arrested or convicted of a crime in regards to my immigration status?

If you are an international F1 visa student facing investigation, DUI or criminal charges, it could have a major impact on your ability to remain in the US as a student. International students are held to a higher standards than US citizens. Even a minor crime or DUI first offense and student visas can be revoked which means you would be denied entry into the US.


Arrests cause F1 visa revocation

US Department of State policy authorizes consular officers to automatically revoke F1 visas for arrests for DUI and crimes. Depending on the arrest, consular posts can choose to revoke student visas by simply sending a mailed letter or email.  It is not uncommon for students to not even know their F1 visa has been revoked until they are refused reentry into the US at the airport after traveling abroad. Many F1 students get stuck in limbo outside the US before even being able to resolve a criminal charge.

Visa Revocation

Revocation means that your visa is no longer valid and cannot be used to re-enter the U.S. Visas may be revoked at the U.S. government’s discretion. However, this typically occurs only under extreme circumstances.

Impact on Status

If your visa is revoked, it does not impact your F-1 or J-1 status. You may continue to live in the U.S. and study at Reinhardt University.

Impact on Travel

If your visa is revoked and you leave the U.S. to travel home or to another country, you will have to apply for a new visa prior to attempting to re-enter the U.S.

Seeking legal counsel

If you are an arrested F1 student, it is critical to consult a criminal immigration lawyer to advise you as soon as possible. The intersection between immigration law and criminal law is one of the most complex areas of US law. Visa revocations are challenging and case-specific. Reinhardt University suggests that students seek advice from an experienced immigration lawyer if they need legal advice about their visa status, travel options, and eligibility for admission to the United States.

Visa Revocation due to Alcohol-Related Offense

Effective late 2015, a new policy was implemented by the Department of State. If you are arrested for or convicted of Driving Under the Influence of alcohol (DUI) or another alcohol-related offense within the past five years or since your last visa issuance (whichever was most recent), your visa may be revoked. Revocation means that your visa is no longer valid and cannot be used to re-enter the U.S.

How do you know if this impacts you?

The Department of State is supposed to notify individuals in this circumstance; however, communication may not always happen. Therefore, it is best to assume that if you have been arrested or convicted of a DUI-related offense, this policy may apply to you.

Note: The government will not inform Reinhardt University if your visa is revoked and we do not have any way to verify whether or not your visa was revoked.

This is a reminder that if your visa is revoked and you leave the U.S. to travel home or to another country, you will have to apply for a new visa. Your eligibility for the visa will be reviewed and a medical examination by a physician authorized by the Department of State may be required. As always, there is no guarantee that your visa will be approved.